"To activate Samana Vayu..."
Samana means equal & the Vayu, which flows horizontally, expanding out from the core of solar plexus on inhalation & returning back on exhalation, is helped by a balance of both breaths. It supports digestion & promotes circulation, & these 2 activities subsequently aid the removal of toxins.
Matangi is the ‘goddess of transformation’ & digestion has transformative qualities - if we think of the food we consume, digestion turns it into fuel for the body. As such, Matangi Mudra activates & improves the flow of Samana Vayu by directing our breath, awareness & energy to the solar plexus.
The extended middle fingers represent clear direction & determination in our life journey.
1. Interlock fingers from the outside with right thumb over left
2. Extend the middle fingers, keeping them joined together for the entire length
3. Rest the wrists on the solar plexus with shoulders relaxed & elbows comfortably away from the ribs
4. Breath nasally, observing the effects of the Mudra to your body, mind & breath
5. Notice if the diaphragm expands/contracts horizontally more smoothly & efficiently
How long to practise Matangi Mudra
Leave a Reply.
Hongyi the yogi
Full-time yoga teacher & trainee yoga therapist in London. Eager to share, eager to learn!